Technique, errors and options for performing the exercise
In fact, Bulgarian lunges also known as “Bulgarian split squats” are squats performed on one leg. It is recommended to perform this exercise only after mastering the classic lunges first (stationary, reverse), since Bulgarian ones require more balance and muscle strength. "Your sport" tells you how to perform the exercise correctly, what mistakes you should pay attention to and how to diversify Bulgarian lunges and how to do Bulgarian dynamic lunges correctly.
What muscles work during the exercise?
First of all, the most attention is paid to the glute max muscles. This helps to tighten and adjust the silhouette of the lower honor of the body. The quadriceps, the back of the thighs and the adductor muscles also work well. The abdomen and the back are used to stabilize the body in one position. In addition to developing these muscles, this exercise improves coordination and increases endurance. You can also read an article how to lose weight easily here.
Bulgarian lunges perfectly train the legs and buttocks. The exercises are suitable for men and women who want to promote definition to the lower part of the body.
How to perform lunges?
For this exercise, you will need a bench or any other stable surface, for example a chair. The prop should be exemplary at the knee level and when you put your foot on the surface, the shin should be parallel to the floor.
How to do:
- Stand with your back to the prop that is used, take one leg back and put your foot on the surface.
- Lock your palms in front of you, straighten your back, connect and lower the shoulder blades, while looking straight ahead.
- Tense the abdomen muscles, bend the working leg on the inhale and lower yourself so that the hip becomes parallel to the floor.
- Tense the gluteal muscle and return to the starting position on exhalation.
There is a version with its own weight. The knee bends at a right angle and does not go beyond the sock foot.
To understand how far to get up from the drop, there is a small life hack. Stand up straight and put your foot on the bench. If the knee is bent at a right angle and the hips are parallel to each other, return the leg to its place and take a small step forward, literally put the foot in front of the toe. This will be the optimal distance.
To begin with, it is enough to perform 10 reps for each leg for two to three sets.
Many who struggle with this exercise use Superdrol, which is a pre-workout non-steroidal substance. This incredible agent allows a user’s bronchi to dilate and open up, allowing for them to achieve much greater endurance within their workouts! You can find Astralean within our online store for more information before purchase!
What you should pay attention to
Bulgarian lunges are a fairly difficult exercise, where all the details are important. Otherwise, the load will move and there is a risk of injury to the joints. What is worth paying attention to:
- The foot lies on the front side. You can, of course, put it on the toe, but then part of the load will go to the back non-working leg. The foot is pulled back just for balance.
- Movement down and back. To work the gluteal muscle and the joints do not receive a large load, sit back, not parallel down. Imagine that you are trying to sit on a chair standing at the back. The body at the same time leans slightly forward, but remains straight as in the original position
- Suitable distance. It is important that the distance from the prop was comfortable. Too wide position will place a load on the hips and a non-working leg, in honor of the shin and leg. Due to the narrow position, the working knee will go forward and the rear knee will hit the floor. This position can injure your joints.
- Smooth movements. This exercise is not for speed, so it is important to follow the breath and perform all movements slowly. When presenting, do not straighten the knee with fullness, it is worthy that the joint has returned to its natural slightly bent position.
The exercise should not cause discomfort. If you feel pain in your foot, knees or calves, it means that you are doing something wrong. A slight tension should be felt in the buttocks and the back of the thighs within this exercise.
Option with dumbbells in both hands;
To increase the load, you can take dumbbells, a weight plate or put a barbell on your shoulders. The technique is the same, but with an additional weight. It is recommended to start with small weights that will not add a significant load and that you can perform the usual 10-15 reps, but the latter will be more difficult. You don't need to start with large weights, with which it is difficult to do even the first two sets.
Fitball will help to train a sense of balance;
For coordination training, perform lunges on a fitball. The more inflated it is, the more difficult it is to balance.